Hey everyone, DeckOfManyThings here. Since I am sponsoring the Wild Cup, I had a say in what format it was so here I am to formally announce that and cover any questions you guys might have about it.
The format for the Wild Cup this season is Tribal. This means that all troops in your deck must share a common trait. This format really limits the troop interactions as your pool of troops will generally be troops you might not regularly group together. It opens up tons of other possibilities and uses for cards that you might have ignored up to now that become super powerful in this format.
- Every single troop in your 60 card deck must all share a single trait with every other troop.
- You need 20 troops or more in your main deck.
- Your 15 card reserves must include 5+ troops which all share a single trait with every other troop in the main deck.
- You are allowed zero troops that do not follow the above.
- Your deck must be 60 cards or more.
- Your deck must be 1/3rd troops at a minimum. (20 troops in a 60 card deck, +1 troop for every 3 cards past 60.)
- These troops all must share a common trait.
- You are not allowed to have any troops that do not have a trait in common with all the other troops.
- (This is different from how the Tribe League runs their format).
- If you run Reserves, you must include 5 additional troops that also share the trait.
- Traits are any words that follow the word “Troop” on the card. Each word is a different trait.
- Example: Troop – Undead Vampire King has three traits, Undead, Vampire, and King.
- Other types of cards that have Traits (such as the Chaostouched actions) do not count towards or against your deck. Only troops matter.
- Players are expected to enforce their decks and those of their opponents.
- The judges of the Shard Cup will enforce penalties on illegally constructed decks.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are you still doing Teams like the last Wild Cup?
- No. Teams was last season’s version of the Wild Cup. This season is Tribal constructed
- How many troops can I have in my deck that don’t share a trait with the rest of the deck?
- Zero (0).
- Is Titania’s Majesty banned in this format?
- Do I need to remain at 20 troops in my deck for games 2 and 3?
- No. Since this is impossible to enforce from a judging standpoint, you have free reign to use your reserves as you see fit. Remember you need at least 5 qualifying troops in your reserves as well if you have reserves. This means the most troops you can remove for games 2 and 3 would be 10.
- What if I have a bridging troop? For example, I have 12 Humans, 4 copies of His Majesty, King Gabriel, and then 4 Vampire Kings. Can I use King Gabriel’s “King” trait to include the Vampire King?
- No. Every single troop in your deck and reserves must share a common trait with every other one.
- Is “of” a legal trait?
- IIRC, every instance of “of” is preceded by “Avatar” which can be used as a trait, so this question is irrelevant.
- What about the Actions that have traits (usually Chaostouched)?
- These do not count for or against you. Feel free to include them in any deck, but they do not replace the need for troops that share a trait.
- Does my Champion have to be the same race as my deck?
- No. You can choose freely among the Champions.
- How can I include Savage Lord into my Dinosaur Tribal deck?
- You can’t. He doesn’t share a trait. Blame Hex Entertainment.
- Am building my deck for this event and have a question. some troops say “Artifact,Troop – Robot” and some say “Artifact, Troop – Construct”. Am i therefore limited to doing Robots OR Constructs, not both?
- Robots OR Constructs, not both.
- Would a situation where each card shares one trait with every other card, such as troop 1 has traits AB, troop 2 has BC and troop 3 has AC be legal?
- Every troop must share a SINGLE trait with every other troop. So in your example, AC is not legal because it doesn’t have the B trait which is being used to link AB and BC.
If you have any further questions, post in the comments and I will (make an editor) add them to the list.